Friday, September 30, 2011

Response to Joe!

Thanks for reading and responding Joe. When I spoke of homophobic people I was talking about a large, vocal group that gets most of the media attention and then try to make permanent changes to our Constitution. I disagree with them, in that marriage, either a traditional one between a man and a woman or a same sex marriage is a legal point. I tend not to look at the religious aspect because, as you pointed out, the separation of church and state. What I feel is important is that a citizen's right is upheld at all times.
                                                                                                         
 My problem with the drug testing revolves around the central issue of probable cause. I do not believe that the way to strengthen our rights is to shrink someone else's. In Florida the state is paying out more money for the tests, then they are saving from removing someone from the welfare rolls. I feel we need to educate and provide rehab for these people to permanently remove them. The addition of good paying jobs, would also go a long way in eliminating additional costs to hard working taxpayers.

Lastly the abortion issue is extremely complex. Once again I am concerned that a small group of zealots are trying to change our Constitution for their views. I agree with you, that science, the doctor and the women involved should be the people that decide about abortion. I wish we would do a better job at educating our young people about pregnancies and advise them on all forms of contraception, including abstaining. I hope that I have answered some of the questions or points that you rose. My philosophy is not to always change minds, but have a civil and educational discussion about issues. Again to Joe, "Thank You" for your input and I hope to hear from you again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment