Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Quote from Jesus Christ

"For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his life." What does this have to do with a political/social blog? Everything! The world we live in today is very much like the world Jesus lived in his time. People are cruel. People are greedy. People are self-absorbed. All around us there is pain and suffering and yet what to we do to relieve any of it? We only care about the area, that immediately surrounds us. If we are doing fine we ignore the plight of those that need us. Right now, our Congress is debating the budget and how to cut the deficit. The problem is that the people who are going to be hurt the most are those that can least afford it. We slash an elderly lady's heating fuel subsidy and allow the subsidies for the giant oil companies to remain in place. During the next winter if you hear about grandma, who dies of exposure, because she cannot afford both food and heat, place the blame on yourself. You look away now, because it does not concern you. "What you do for the least of these, you do for me." Another quote from Jesus. Helping others is the same as helping Jesus. In his day everyone stood by, as he was crucified and did nothing. They did not speak up as the persecution of Christ unfolded in front of them. Today the persecution of the poor, homeless, uninsured and unemployed is the battle front and yet we still turn away. It is too hard. We are too busy. We will not make a difference. What good will it do? I am not sure how much we can change immediately, but I do know that if we do nothing we will have condemned that frail poor grandmother, as easily as we did when we turned our backs while Jesus was nailed to that cross, so many centuries ago.

1 comment:

  1. are you ready for something shocking...

    I have been a Christian for 11 years now. I was confronted one day with the truth that a decision is needed. Showing up on Sundays or on Christmas and Easter does not make me a Christian or "saved" as you may hear. Believing that there is a God does not help... even the most evil thing knows there is a God.

    I had to decide if I believe that Jesus actually was the Son of God, the one talked about in the Old Testament, and did I believe that he died for me. Well, I have taken up that faith for 11 years now.

    I have been studying politics for about 3 years, and have come to the conclusion that ... God is a Communist. That right a blood red commie.

    Only He could truly create utopia, only He could really fill everyone's lives and make them hole, equal, make things fair. This is one reason why I have given up on the idea that we can petition our government to do this for us. I simply want them to provide simple services of safety, and protection of law and leave me, my family and my dear friends (Wes and Jess) alone. :)

    ReplyDelete