Saturday, January 22, 2011

Money isn't everything, but it sure helps. part 3

 I have briefly looked at money and parents, and the effect each has one education. The next piece is the teachers and schools. I don't have to define teachers in the scope that I will be discussing them, but I want to define the use of the term schools in my post. Schools, as I am using it now is the entire system, excluding the teachers. The administration, the curriculum, the school board, the local community and the state. Each one of these have a certain responsibility to the downward slide of education and each needs to be accountable to each and every child that comes through the system. I do not believe that the solution is to eliminate public schools. I believe that we need to make them the best school systems in the world. After World War II  the U.S. public schools were the envy of the world. What happened? We wanted to stop paying for the best. Educators started to believe that they had to constantly develop new ways to teach, whether they were better or not. Parents stopped supporting the schools and teachers. If I would have gotten into trouble in school, I knew that there would be even more trouble when I got home. Teachers need to be accountable based upon the amount of information that our children learn every year. This should not be based only on seniority. It should be based on performance. The better teachers get promoted and raises. The poorer teachers, should learn to be better or leave the profession. Period.

No comments:

Post a Comment