Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Continue response.

Congress tried to pull the Executive branch back somewhat, when in 1973 they established the War Powers Act. This set down rules by which the President would have to notify Congress in writing, that an armed conflict has been entered into by American troops. It also states that Congress then has to authorize this conflict within 60 days for the troops to continue. All of this is nothing more then a legal CYA for Congress and the President. Distasteful to Americans, yes, illegal. no.This is the same laws used in our current conflicts. I next want to touch on the Vietnam conflict. You mention Laos as something that we did not even acknowledge. What about Cambodia. We lost more troops there and killed more civilians there, then in Laos. In Vietnam we lost over 58,000 men and women. Civilian casualties in Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos were over 2.5 million people. What a waste. One thing that is important for me to say, though, is I do not agree with our leaders, but I support our troops. These are the finest men and women our country has to offer and we have in the past and continue today  watch them die, for political and economic reasons. I will continue in another post.

3 comments:

  1. I think its sad that we cant call out our government for unnecessary wars and lies without feeling guilty and needing to clarify that "we support our troops". That is not a shot at you... it just a fact.

    This I suppose is a positive social response to the negative reception of many of our Vietnam troops. And I must clarify I did not live through those times. Nor will I pretend to understand.

    I do feel confident in the fact that the perpetrator of atrocities are never our troops but of the Federal Government that sends them into harms way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we are speaking the same language in regards to the immoral aspect of needless war and lives lost. A Cambodian life is as valuable as mine as well as a Pakistani or any other.

    I guess I would ask why you feel so comfortable handing over so much of our lives to the same government and system that has offered up these lies. (example: health care "to be discussed further")

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danny is right about having to be politically correct when speaking about our troops..... it's too touchy. I support them, as far as saying I feel for them, I hope and pray they each make it back alive(I know they will not be the same), and..... thats about it. What does it mean, to support our troops? They are over there doing something they should not be doing, wether or not they want to.... so no, i'm not going to "Support" them. I have alot of friends that have been going back and forth to Iraq and Afghanistan and they are changed..... for life. Like literally, there minds are different. Every person we send over there is being "Changed" on a daily basis, and then eventually we are gonna call them back home. I don't want to keep on changing our society mind after mind like that. We are too politically correct if we can't just say, NO! I DONT SUPPORT that, or you if you sign up to go participate. I know many many people, who signed up well after the truth about WMDs and the terrorists came out. Who voluntarily walked into to a recruiting office somewhere, with the knowledge we have already being divulged to them, and still signed away there life to do as told, kill on command, and not have an oppinion on the matter. Sorrrrry, NO I DONT SUPPORT YOU OR YOUR DECISION. And not to step on anyones toes here, but it is comical to me when someone says, were sending over the "BEST AND BRIGHTEST" we have. NO SIR< we are sending over the best and brightest that we can still dupe into signing up. There are alot of smarter people, more equipped people, and even physically more capable people...... they just arent willing to sign up for something so rediculous. They are not going to give there lives away to a greater(In a sincerely evil way) cause like that. We target the poor, uneducated CHILDREN of America to recruit a constantly growing force of trained, broken, and reproggrammed robots to go over and handle the dirty work and bidding of rich fat cats that don't want to get their hands dirty. We alwasy have. When we have enough soldiers they wont even accept someone with a GED, but when we need to start building back up our forces, we will re-instate it like we have right now and fill up the front lines with poor dropouts from inner cities, the hills of kentucky, or the plains of Idaho where there is really not alot of options. Hope you all make it home, but i'm not going to act like I support ANY of what is going on in the middle east!!!

    ReplyDelete