Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thanksgiving Day Is American!

When holidays approach, anyone who writes, has to do the column and talk about what they are thankful for. I will not disappoint.

First and foremost I am thankful for my fantastic, beautiful wife, Pat. She has come to mean everything in life to me. With her we have two wonderful daughters, Jessica and Nicole. They in turn have blessed us with five grandchildren that mean the world to us. Jayden, Miyah, Miriah, John and Elijah, have brightened our world as each year goes by. Jessica's husband and John's father Wes, rounds our family out nicely, and it all returns to the love and devotion Pat and I have for each other. If I were to stop there with my thanks, I could be happy. But there is more.

I am thankful that my family and I are, for the most part healthy. For without our health the rest of life can be a struggle.

I am thankful for being an American. For all of our struggles and weaknesses, we also have much to be proud of. We have accomplish more as a nation in less time then any our civilization in the history of the world. I am critical of America and it's political system, but that is because I care. It would be totally UN-American to not speak up. We must all stride forward and continue to improve as individuals and a country. This is our greatest strength.

I am thankful for my extended family. My mother, my in-laws, sisters, brothers, aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces and nephews, that are too numerous to mention here. My even further extended family, in our friends, neighbors and co-workers, all of who make my life better because I know them.

Lastly, did I mention my wife, Pat. I know I did, but to not mention her at least twice would be to ignore her importance to me. For thirty seven years, she has been the constant in my life. The reason I smile each day. The reason I have learned to love so deeply in my life. To her I have to say I have had over thirteen thousand days of happiness and love. It would have been very dark without her by me. So I have to reminder her again, just how much she means to me.

To all of my readers, "Happy Thanksgiving." Take a moment tomorrow and remember the reasons and most importantly the people, you are thankful for.

1 comment:

  1. Agreed. I am thankful that my stomach has only hurt because of overeating not the lack of food. I am thankful that I am stressed not because I have ever been lonely but because I have too many friends and appointments to keep up with. I am thankful for a girl whom loves me despite my imperfections. Im thankful for my family whom has never made me feel unwelcome or incapable or unequipped. Im thankful for my church family and the knowledge that even if "blood" family could not be found I have a relationship with all those with faith. Im thankful for a job that provides me with an income to support myself and my household. I am thankful for the opportunity to be an influence and influenced by so many people.

    I have never been lonely, I have never been hungry, I have never been persecuted for my faith, I have air conditioning, and a microwave. What could we possibly complain about?

    Oh and Im also thankful for Pat :)

    ReplyDelete