Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Romney "Politics Of Envy" You Are Wrong!!

Mitt Romney in his speech last night, stated that the President and the left are practicing the politics of envy. He and any conservative that feels this is about envy is certainly missing the point. I am sure just like the extreme on the right, have views outside of the mainstream there are extremes on the left that look at the wealthy and corporations with envy. Most people including myself, family and friends, want one thing only. A fair and level playing field. Opportunities that are extended to everyone. Then we can either succeed or fail, based upon our own hard work. The problem is the system has become twisted and tilted in one direction and the real opportunities are not available to all.

I dislike the minimum alternative tax, that allows the less wealthy to get large refunds of up to the amount of money they make each year. They pay no taxes and then receive a credit and money, that we all pay for. Likewise I abhor the idea that a corporation can make billions of dollars in profit each year and they also pay no taxes and get a large refund from the government because of their credits. Again we all pay for this. This is not fair in either case. Everyone should pay a portion of their income to support the infrastructure and services that we all benefit from.

Millions of hard working Americans pay for health insurance each month, through payroll deductions. When we fill a prescription or receive medical attention, we then pay a deductible. Millions more receive free Medicaid and contribute nothing toward the cost. I am not talking about Medicare, for our seniors, they have spent a lifetime paying their way and now they deserve our help in their later years. I am talking about making health care affordable and having all able bodied people contribute into the fund. This is called responsibility and should be welcomed by all.

I know in some ways I sound like a conservative and in some regards I am. My main point in this is I do not envy a person, who through hard work and perseverence, has made a lot of  money. I just want them to pay their fair share. This is not class warfare. It is fairness. People like Romney completely misses the idea that fairness is what the average person wants.

No comments:

Post a Comment