Monday, May 23, 2011

Truth and Fact Something Politicians Have a Problem With

When I was about seven years old, my father had an old radio and for what every reason it sat in my bedroom. He had warned me to never plug it in because I could get hurt. Right! You guessed it, I plugged it in. A snap of electricity and the loud pop of a fuse had my mind racing as my father climbed the stairs, probably two at a time. I had pulled the plug back out and what was the thought that entered my seven year old brain. George Washington! Yeah, George Washington, the father of our country. George Washington, who could never tell a lie. George Washington, chopped down the cherry tree and because he told the truth his father let him off the hook. The one problem with my telling the truth was that I was NOT George Washington. At that time in my early life I believed that our politicians never told a lie. Our Presidents told the complete, unvarnished, unabashed truth. This was a fact. I had read about George Washington and "Honest" Abe Lincoln and knew these people were better then everyone else and if they said it, it was the truth. Wow, how naive could anyone be? As I got older I learned a very hard truth, politicians never met the truth. That is not to say that every word out of their mouths, is a lie, it just isn't the truth. Politicians and the people that work for them have better dance moves then the entire cast of, "Dirty Dancing". They sit Baby in the corner and leave her there, as they move through an interview and never say anything. How many times have you watched an interview or debate and the questioner, asks something and the response has nothing to do with the question. You sit there and say, what was the question they gave that answer to? I was talking to my friend, Paul today and I said wouldn't it be nice if a politician, today, would just give us the truth and facts. His response dripping with sarcasm, "Yeah, like that's going to happen!" We laughed,  because we all know that this is not going to happen. Politicians and their handlers have never heard a fact or true statement they could not twist to a political advantage. I have to admit a certain sadness to this. I wish I could go back to the times when, I believed that our leaders, did what was in the best interest for the average American instead of for the people that make the largest contributions to their reelection campaigns. "Like that's ever going to happen!" Oh yeah, to complete the radio story, my Dad gave me a spanking, I should have realized at that time, George, probably lied and blamed it on the English.

No comments:

Post a Comment