Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Vision for America

I have a vision for our country and right now it is somewhat tarnished. The America I see is one that fairness is the doctrine that we all strive to live by. We have moved to the point that greed and concern for self  has over taken all else. How much more could we all achieve if instead of finding fault and differences, we find agreement and solutions?  Fairness would be the mantra of a new generation and direction. Someone that spills a hot cup of coffee would not receive millions of dollars, but a hand full of napkins to clean up the spill. Companies that make billions of dollars would not seek ways to squeeze more out of us, but would find a fair price to make a fair profit. Tax payers, whether personal or corporate, would look to pay their fair share to help support the essential services that are required for a society. Elected officials would actually look at how to make lives for people and corporations better, instead of finding ways to get re-elected or line their pockets with money to sway their votes. We would look at ways to make, our Constitution come to life, by actually making all laws and directions equal. The wealthy and corporations would not be able to steal from everyone and almost destroy our economy without going to prison. Steal a loaf of bread to feed your family and see how fair the judicial system is for the poor. The needy would be able to work at public jobs, doing services for the community in return for the money or food stamps they receive. Children, no matter what side of the tracks they live on, would receive a great education. I am only beginning to see how we could change the destiny of our nation and the American people with one principle. Fairness.

1 comment:

  1. I have pondered a lot about these words and I have come to the personal conclusion that "fair" and "equal" are very dangerous words.

    I know we are talking mostly politics here so Ill keep it in that realm.

    The government can never make things fair. Fair is passing out 50k a year to every individual in the nation and assigning them a 40 hour week... oh wait... you cant assign them a job because the janitor wont think its fair that the other guy get to drive a bus... so on and so fourth.

    The government can however make everyone equal under the law. We could talk for days about how this is tarnished but either way...

    Equal opportunity (not the definition we have today!!!) is about all we can ask for our government. I should have the same right to my property as my neighbor... I should be taxed the same as my neighbor, and the penalties for my choices should be the same as my neighbor... (But we dont let that happen)

    I think what someone from my point of view sees as true is that... the government can not at such a distance make my life equal to my neighbor. Especially once my choices have been made.

    All I can require of my government is to give me the dignity of my individuality and the right to my choices, the benefits of them and the downfalls as well. This I feel would be the best government. (the one that governs the least)

    ReplyDelete